At Peace

My Lifetime Stories in blog

Saturday, March 19, 2005

I don't need luck

While i was hearing a lecture from Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips (most likely one of the people nowadays whom i adore the most) about 'The Foundation of Islamic Studies' - while studying ObGyn, there was something that he said about luck which reminds me to write sth about it:

LUCK ----- FORTUNE ----- GODDESS FORTUNA
LUCK ----- MUHAMMAD KHANJI ----- I DON'T NEED LUCK, I NEED DU'A

What do i mean by that? Well, i remember i have this conversation with mohammad khanji. Simply and commonly I said to him for his exam: Good Luck Mohammad!! And to my suprise he replied, I don't need luck, I need du'a. Since then, i never use the word 'LUCK' again to wish somebody. And to other people who had wished me luck, some of them i told the same: I don't need luck, I need du'a!

And only this time i manage to write something about it. Luck based on answers.com thesaurus means fortune. The origin of the word LUCK (etymology) came from Middle English Lucke, from Middle Dutch Luc, a shortform of gheluc. If somebody tells you that it came from the word Lucifer, well my quick research doesn't show any correlation, so as this site. It correlates the word Lucifer and satan as:

"Lucifer" did indeed mean "light-bearing" in its original Latin ("lux," light, plus "fer," bearing), and originally referred to the planet Venus, known as the morning star when it appears at sunrise. The connection between Lucifer the morning star and Satan goes back to the Biblical passage of Isaiah 14:12 ("How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning?"), which, although it was addressed to the king of Babylon, was later interpreted by religious scholars to be actually referring to Satan, the "fallen angel."

However, fortune came from Middle English, from Old French, and from Latin Fortuna, referring to the Goddess of Good Fortune. From this site it says:

The Roman goddess Fortuna was the same as an earlier Italian goddess who presided over the earth's abundance and controlled the destiny of all human beings. Her name, derived from Vortumna, "she who turns the year about" come to symbolize the capriciousness of life and luck, the vagaries of fate as the wheel of life turns around. Her festival was celebrated in October. Fortuna gives us a way to approach the ups and downs of life, a perspective that can offer us some equanimity as we proceed on our journey.

So, knowing all these, does it make any difference to us? Well, for me at least, I'd be better off without the wishes of luck, because as we know Allah knows what really happens to us, each and every single thing. As Rasullullah said, on the authority of Abdullah bin Abbas,

"..Be mindful of Allah, you will find Him before you. Get to know Allah in prosperity and He will know you in adversity. Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you; and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by. And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship." Tirmithi, hasan (sound)

And I would agree with all my heart what muhammad has said to me. Luck shouldn't be wish for or be wished to others. It should not even be in the dictionary of a muslim. Instead, du'a is what we all muslims need.

Conclusion:
1. I DON'T NEED LUCK, I NEED YOUR DU'A!!!
2. the importance of using evidence based statement form reliable source to back up our statement (same goes with medicine and especially our religion)
3. the word mosque does not come from the word mosquito as far as etymology (study of origin of words) suggest. This belief was made popular by the writer (a muslim) of the book "Idiot's Guide of Understanding Islam". May Allah has mercy on all of us.

4 Comments:

  • At March 19, 2005 at 5:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Am i the first to write in here? Hahaha!

    anyway, welcome to the blogging world. :) X nak tukar background ke? Kalau nak cari kat blogskins.com. banyak bground to choose.

    You could also register with petalingstreet.org, one of few malaysian blogging communities online. :)

     
  • At June 12, 2005 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    tq for sharing.. sayangnyer fatin tak bole access blogger page nih from home.. kat my husband's ofis right now..

     
  • At July 23, 2005 at 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Assalamualaikum

    Waah...didn't know that u have a blog before. This is a very interesting site with plenty of interesting things to read. Tadi ingatkan nak tido masa surf internet at 2am. ni dah dekat 5am still takleh tido dok baca your blog! I remember when I was in Taiping dulu, masa form 4. One of my seniors yang jaga my wing, (A Kenanga) pernah cakap that we shouldn't wish 'good luck' because as Muslims, we shouldn't rely on 'luck'. From thereon, I always wish other people with "Best Wishes" instead of "Good Luck", tapi ada jugak time yang terlepas. Thanks for reminding me. Kirim salam 'assalamualaikum' pada Lisa...

     
  • At September 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wan ahmad hafiz. email aku skit lama tak dengo cerita. aku lehud
    dr_salleh@yahoo.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home