At Peace

My Lifetime Stories in blog

Monday, May 01, 2017

Hate The Sins, not The Sinners

An anti vaccine who is your daughter's teacher.
A politician who come to initiate something at your workplace.
A gay friend.
A colleague who drinks alcohol.
A Syiah who is your lecturer.
A Wahhabi who talks about evidence-based religion.
A Sufi who talks about the importance of being patience.
They all share similar things. There are parts that we may not like or contrary to our own principles, but there are also parts that we can benefit. Often, we fail to differentiate these things and they become all-or-none. When we hate a person/a group, everything that comes from him will be considered bad. Likewise, in somebody that we idolise, we cannot accept anybody saying anything bad about him. We know that everybody will have their sides of good and bad, and yet we choose to be blind.
How many people (that we previously look down upon) that turn themselves around and become much much better than ourselves today?
For me, a test to see if i am being a fanatic is to ask myself 2 questions:
1. Pick one person that I adore most (except the prophet as he is without fault), and i have to list at least 1 thing that I disagree with him.
2. Pick another person/group that I hate/do not like, and I have to come up with positive things about him/them.
If I failed to do these things, I consider myself a fanatic, and I have to reset my views.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home