At Peace

My Lifetime Stories in blog

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Micro-affirmation - subtle acknowledgement

Presumed I messed up big time. My boss was really frustrated with me, and although he said it was okay - I still have that feelings that not everything is okay. One day, in a meeting, to my surprise, the boss asked my opinion specifically on how best to address certain issues as he acknowledged that I have expertise than others may lack of. What would I feel?
In bridging the differences, certain good and sincere acts can bring miles of goodness. I was told that it was a common scenario in Dublin when one compliment each other dress or new shoes or hair etc. They seemed to be looking for something to compliment, and it comes naturally to them. Unfortunately, as if we can read minds - we call this sucking up to the authority. That makes us less likely to compliment each other, even in matters that is clearly cannot be considered as sucking up to the boss.
For example, if we compliment everybody, regardless whether they are our bosses or our workers - that is not sucking up. If we compliment each other and make sure we do not say something nasty behind their back - that is not sucking up.
One powerful tool is second hand praising. It means we compliment somebody in their absence. It iss usually viewed as genuine. And imagine a person called Iqbal said to us - "You are brilliant!", compared to somebody else said to us, "Iqbal told me that you are brilliant!". You decide which you prefer more.
Other examples of micro thing we can do, but it matters in bridging the gaps:
1. Acknowledge someone is there through greeting or smile
2. Give credit to others
3. Send notes of encouragement
4. Share positive feedback about someone with others.
5. Take time to show interest in and get to know someone new.
6. Affirm others' feeling about a situation.
7. Give opportunities for someone to speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home